Wednesday, November 11, 2015

#NaBloPoMo Day 11 - Happy Diwali

NaBloPoMo November 2015

I always thought Diwali was celebrated equally among all Hindus. But as I went through experiences, I realised that each community has varying degrees of importance for the festival. There are other important ones - like Navratri is bigger for Bengalis while Keralites actually give Diwali a miss. The latter fact painfully dawned on me after I got married to one. Lighting diyas for diwali which is considered auspicious in my tradition has no significance to Keralites. Left to me, it's taken me years to trickle in the tradition bit by bit into my current life. But this Diwali turned out to be the best in all these years. Lighting the diyas, Lakshmi Pooja, hogging on sweets and even crackers thrown in. (Despite the whole Diwali should be cracker-less debate) It's like all the things that Diwali stands for in my mind magically came together. I had hoped it would and it actually did! Lights, for me, are the best part of the festival. I just love looking at lights all around during Diwali.

Tell me about how you celebrate Diwali? Is it all about sweets and visiting people? Or are you ritualistic and believe that lighting diyas and saying your prayers is the focus of your festivities? Or do you celebrate with online shopping and card parties all night? I have realised that there are different ways in which people celebrate this festival. I'd love to hear about how you all do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Help books: How Much So They Help The Self?

 I just finished reading The ONE Thing - a book that tells you how focussing on that one critical thing - on thing at a time - you can achie...