Thursday, March 31, 2016

Endometriosis: How I survived it

The stabbing pain of Endometriosis (photo credit)
It all started in June 2008. My periods became unbearably painful. I literally had to stop whatever I was doing and clench my teeth to bear the waves of cramps that came every few minutes. This was definitely unusual for me and a cause for worry. Plus it was crippling to not be able to work for a few days a month. I went to see a gynaec - someone I had just started seeing since I had moved to Mumbai only a few months ago. Her first reaction was to do a pregnancy test which was negative. On further discussion, she suspected endometriosis because of the pain pattern I described to her. Endometriosis pain is not like usual cramps that’s mostly around the lower abdomen and the back. It spreads across the rectal area, back, thighs and down the legs too and comes in waves of stabbing pain. 

I came back home and looked up online. Endometriosis is the growth of uterine tissue outside the uterus. The most common cause is known as retrograde menstruation - where some of the the blood that should flow outside the body starts flowing inwards. And this leads to the formation of the tissue around the fallopian tubes, ovaries and sometimes even the intestines. I think the description itself is scary enough. And with debilitating pain, it’s a deadly assault on the body and mind. To make things worse, my online research revealed that this condition has no cure. It’s either painkillers with lifestyle changes or an occasional surgery when the growth gets out of hand. I was rapidly plunging into depression thinking about going through that pain for the rest of my life.

Meanwhile, the doctor prescribed a laparoscopy for further diagnosis and pain killers for the time being. I couldn’t go through with the invasive laparoscopy because I was too scared and had an ultrasound done instead. The reports were normal and the doctor said that the endometrial lesions were probably not too big to be detected. And I was surprised to know that since the pain I went through felt like I was going to die. The funny thing is that the extent of endometriosis (stage 1 to 4) has nothing to do with the severity of the pain experienced. 

The pain killers she put me on - Spasmo proxyvon - an opiate analgesic which can get you addicted in 5 days straight! It almost amounted to being drugged! All it did was make me numb and put me to sleep pretty much all day. I did not want to sit up or eat or do anything else. The other alternative she gave me was to get pregnant asap - a common solution that allopathy offers Endometriosis patients. Pregnancy means no periods for a few months and time for the lesions to heal. What they overlook or don’t tell you is that once your periods are back, Endometriosis is back too! I did not want to have a child as a temporary solution to a medical problem (and I wasn’t even married for a year at that time). So she put me on oral contraceptives to suppress ovulation and bleed less. 

I dreaded the pain all month. It was like a full stop to quality life and the pain was like a punishment. I have no clue who cooked meals or run the house on those days. I recall an incident where my spouse went out to buy bread at 11 in the night to fix some dinner for me and himself after he finished his work. And he had to force me to sit up and have something since all I wanted to do was sleep. 

Life painfully went on like this - despite pain killers and contraceptives - for about 6 months. I was due to visit my husband’s family in Kerala in December 2008. He suggested that we speak to one of his cousins who is a practicing doctor in Ayurveda. That seemed like a ray of hope. I did not even have to explain to her since she herself had gone through this. She prescribed some medicines in Ayurveda and asked me to take them in the right proportion for 6 months. I cannot describe my relief and happiness when I had no pain the first time I got my periods about a month after I started the new medicines. After all the no-cure stories, this definitely seemed like a miracle. (I did have Endometriosis like pain a year later ironically after I had consumed contraceptives for a month to delay periods. I repeated the 6 month course again just to make sure). I have been pain free and healthy since 2009. I went through a series of unrelated tests last year which showed no trace of Endometriosis. Even if the lesions where too small to be detected by ultrasound earlier, they have disappeared now. 

Once the medicines worked for me, it set me thinking about how the world thinks there is no cure to endometriosis and the internet is flooded with articles about managing the pain better. And yet here I was with these set of medicines with visible results in just a month! It’s not a rare condition. A few million women across the world suffer from this. Katrina Kaif went through a surgery for this very condition in 2009. Celina Jaitley, after being diagnosed with it, has been an actively spreading awareness about it. International personalities like Susan Sarandan and Padma Lakshmi have openly talked about it. We need to continue the dialogue. 


I regret not sharing my story with the world for all these years. But #EndometriosisAwarenessMonth seems like the best chance to do it. There’s a lot to be done to spread awareness about the cure to this dreadful condition to women who are going through this dreadful pain month after month. My blog post is my little contribution to getting that word out. Do share this in your network so that people can become aware and find freedom from pain through the miraculous cure that gave me my life back. 

14 comments:

  1. I am a sufferer of this painful disease. Could you please let me know what all ayurvedic medicines did you take.
    Many thanks R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you Ruhi on FB? We have already gotten in touch then. If not, send me an email id where I can connect. Thanks

      Delete
    2. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thounght i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about dr.idedia who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted dr.idedia to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 5 this december and i am greatful to God and thankful to dr.idedia for his medicine too. If you have (Endometriosis, PCOS, Fibroid, Ovarian cyst, Ectopic Pregnancy or any infertility issues) just reach him on (dr.idediatraditionalhealinghme@gmail.com) he has professional advise and a cure too.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I have been looking for solutions for the past 3 years. Could you please share the medication and also if possible the doctor's details
    I would like to consult too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonam! We already connected on FB. Let me know if there's something else that you need.

      Delete
  3. i also want to knoe about the ayurvedic treatment and medicine... i need them.... plz let me know. my email id is pooja091984@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sent you an email, Pooja. Please see an Ayurveda doctor too.

      Delete
  4. Hi.

    Please publish the name of these ayurvedic medicines too, for lots of people who can benefit. Or perhaps publish the name of the doctor you consulted in Kerala.

    Thank you so much for your article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I cant put my prescription online because that was specific to my condition. It may not work for something worse. So it is just better for people to see an Ayurveda doctor. Though, I have shared it with individuals who got in touch with me.

      Delete
  5. Is itvsame as ovulation pain. Pls let me knw. As i m suffering from this during my ovulation period. The descrption of pain is exactly what u have explained

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see an ayurveda doctor who can help you. Look up Kotakkal Arya Vaidya Sala hospitals in most cities in India. They are the best in Ayurveda. All the best!

      Delete
  6. i have been following this blog for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Aleta who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Aleta and she actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use her herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and i am greatful to God and thankful to her for medicine too. If you have (Endometriosis, PCOS, Fibroid, Ovarian cyst, Ectopic Pregnancy or any infertility issues) just reach her on (aletedwin @ gmail. com) she has professional advise and a cure too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR GETTING MY WIFE OUT OF FIBROID WITH HIS HERB One of the greatest moments in this world is when you see your own wife put to bed, this awesome moments makes you a man and not just a man a real man. My wife suffered from Fibroid which made her unable to get pregnant and give us a child for almost 18 years with multiple surgeries done and none seemed to help the situation. I almost gave up but due to the love i had for her because i married her a virgin i had to find a way to help her. I told a member of my church who recommended Dr. williams to me, i contacted him and he sent me a medicine and this medicine shrinked it naturally in a weeks it was like magic but it's science. I am happy writing this because he delivered a baby girl. Do not loose hope too soon contact him on drwilliams098765@gmail.com and i am confident she will help you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suman,
    Can you share your email so I can write to you. Mine is sushmita.chatterjee@gmail.com. I have Endometriosis since eternity and suffering with the horrendous symptoms.

    ReplyDelete

Self-Help books: How Much So They Help The Self?

 I just finished reading The ONE Thing - a book that tells you how focussing on that one critical thing - on thing at a time - you can achie...